Tuesday, June 26, 2012

G-RAIN-wood Faire

Well, we had wind, rain, temperatures over 80, small stinging insects and one injured actor, but it still was a great faire.
It rained hard right before my second show on Saturday.  I stood in my puppet stage with a huge golf umbrella over it, but by the time I got there with the umbrella, there was a lot of water already soaking everything.  I figured I'd have to cancel the second show.  The rain stopped about 5 minutes before I was supposed to perform but the trees were still shedding drops down on us and the benches for the audience were soaked.  But people showed up anyway and sat in them.  I grabbed Punch and Judy and put them up to sing "Rain rain go away" and suddenly the benches were full!
So we pulled the stage into position and with the golf umbrella still up, I did the show.  I added a lot of rain and wet jokes.  People seemed to love that.  Two of my puppets have feathers for hair...they looked more wet than the rest for sure, but no one seemed to mind.  After it all, the stage manager said that my show was the first back up and I had 56 people.  Some people ran across the green to come see it even.  I felt pretty good about the whole thing!
 Clay Martin was also there and I was glad to catch two of his shows.  He had a new toy theatre piece to try out and I enjoyed seeing all the new flat puppets.  He gave them all moving somethings...heads, mouths or eyes because he didn't show his own face as Toy Theatre performers usually do.
I'm looking forward to the next Ren Faire I'm doing in Salem on the second full week of July!

By the way, if you have just come to this blog from the card I gave you at Greenwood.  This is the best summary post for the Puppy Puppet: http://ellyspuppetblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-puppy-puppet.html

No comments: